Foreign Nationals & Documentation

What hiring managers need to know

Most foreign nationals who are not American citizens are brought into Canada and U of T under the Temporary Foreign Worker Program. As part of this program, most foreign nationals require that a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) be completed to secure their necessary work permits.

For every foreign worker on campus, we submit documentation to Citizenship & Immigration Canada (CIC), which is binding on the University.

Required documentation to invite a foreign national to work at U of T

Effective February 21, 2015, hiring managers wishing to employ a foreign national under a Labour Market Impact Assessment exemption must complete the following to allow us to submit all required documentation to Citizenship & Immigration Canada (CIC).

Please refer to the CIC website to determine if a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) is required.

What to submit:

Business officers will be required to provide information that allows the applicant’s HR Divisional Office to complete all required immigration paperwork. The requisite Citizenship & Immigration Canada (CIC) compliance fees will be paid centrally.

They must also submit the following support materials:

  • Copies of letters of offer, engagement, or invitation
  • Information supporting the use of the LMIA exemption
  • Departmental contact information
  • Name of principal investigator or supervisor (for postdoctoral fellows and research associates)

And, they must also submit for the following employee information:

  • Name as shown on passport
  • Date of birth
  • Country of birth
  • Gender
  • Country of residence
  • Citizenship
  • Passport number

For postdoctoral research fellows (trainees) and research award recipients, please indicate whether their stipend will be paid through University of Toronto or from an external source. If the stipend is a combination of both, please indicate the portion being paid through U of T.

Once all required immigration paperwork has been completed by the appropriate immigration team, the business officer must provide a copy of it to the employee, who will need it to apply for a work permit.