Immigration at U of T
The University of Toronto (U of T) is one of the world’s leading research intensive institutions and is Canada’s research powerhouse. We see great value in strong international collaborations with leading universities, research institutes, and industry partners around the world, and in providing enriching and meaningful international opportunities to students. U of T’s footprint is global.
Planning is required when reaching out to host international colleagues, researchers, expert knowledge holders, students or visitors to your department, lab or office. Depending on the nature of your relationship, there are different immigration pathways to joining the University’s international community.
This website has been created to provide the University of Toronto community with information needed to issue the appropriate invitation to international collaborators, academics, and students. Remember that all international visitors to the University, even those who will not receive pay, must receive the right invitation.
Updates & News
Travel advisory information for the United States can be accessed on the Government of Canada Travel Advice and Advisories website.
- February 13, 2017: Student Life Alert: Travel to the U.S.
- February 9, 2017: Developments regarding the Executive Order
- February 3, 2017: US Travel Restrictions (PDAD&C #59)
- February 1, 2017: Temporary public policy in response to the Executive Order of the United States of America
- January 29, 2017: University of Toronto keeping close watch on impact of US travel restrictions
- Permits Needed for Faculty, Staff, Students, and Visitors (PDF, 155 kB)
- Ways to Enter Canada: Temporary Resident VISA and Electronic Travel Authorization (PDF, 161 kB)
- Immigration Flowcharts: Eligibility to Work in Canada (PDF, 32 kB)
- Bringing the World to U of T – Immigration Infosheet (PDF, 141 kB)